Monday 21 January 2013

Body and space

Following on from our previous project of body and politics. We were given a new brief of body and space. We are to take into account how our exploration of identity, social or political context from out first part of the project inform the context for this subject. I took a walk to a local beach to take photos.








































I want to end up with a dream landscape, carrying on from my previous project of a dream portrait. The previous project was of close up faces and portraits while this one will e far away landscape, giving a completely connected but opposite piece. I just had the idea of painting one of these pieces, with the lads as they were, taking photos or messing about. I want it to be vividly coloured.The colours and intensity of Daniel Richter really inspired the idea for this project. I want it to be eye catching and vividly colourful.






With vivid colours in mind, I photo-shopped the images of the beach by changing their hue/saturation balance and the vibrancy. I then inverted the skies in the images and ended up with very vivid and colourful pieces to work from. Looking through Neo Rauch's pieces it reminded me of Dali and Max Ernst. A style that softly blends tones and colours, a style that I frequently use. A style I saw fitting for this piece, a dreamscape.


I was asked frequently while painting where is the body in this space. I replied you are the body. The viewer, not only because it was recreated from a photograph from my vision. But because the purpose of the piece is a dream, your vision of this dreamworld. But not only this, your the body because the purpose of the painting is to be strikingly vivid that its like a punch of colour when you walk in the room and see it, making you the viewer a vital part to the piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment